The Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012 created the First Responder Network Authority (FirstNet) as an independent authority within NTIA to provide emergency responders with the first nationwide, high-speed, broadband network dedicated to public safety.
FirstNet is working with the National Public Safety Telecommunications Council (NPSTC), the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO), the FirstNet Public Safety Advisory Committee (PSAC), the Public Safety Communications Research (PSCR) program and standards organizations on network requirements and on defining how standards can support building future networks as public safety-grade. We believe it has many dimensions.
Some of them include:
- Coverage based on geography for public safety service as well as the population
- Solutions for serving rural and underserved areas
- Reliability that public safety can count on
- Group communications to enable effective teamwork
- Redundancy and resiliency to sustain service
- A robust and reliable portfolio of devices for different user types