You are here
Board Committee: Governance and Risk
Term expires: September 2024
Since being elected mayor in a record turnout election in April 2010, Mayor Steve Benjamin has made it his mission to create in Columbia the most talented, educated and entrepreneurial city in America. In addition to serving as Mayor of Columbia, Mayor Benjamin also served as the 2018-2019 President of the U.S. Conference of Mayors and as Chairman for Municipal Bonds for America, Member of the Federal Communications Commission’s Intergovernmental Advisory Committee, Member of the Accelerator for America Advisory Council and Co-Chair of the Mayors for 100% Clean Energy campaign.
President Barack Obama’s administration commended Mayor Benjamin on his work on behalf of My Brother’s Keeper (MBK). The city’s MBK efforts, in addition to Mayor Benjamin’s leadership, have led to Columbia being seen as a nationwide leader in implementing and upholding the missions of the program.
Coronavirus Pandemic Response:
- Formed Midlands Coronavirus Task Force on March 1, which held first meeting on March 6
- Accepts role as informal advisor to Bloomberg Philanthropies Coronavirus Local Response Initiative
- Signed on to USCM letter requesting $250 billion in aid sent directly to cities; letters also sent to Senators Graham & Scott, and Congressman Clyburn
- Co-chaired the Pandemic Resilience Working Group for America’s Mayors with former South Bend, Ind. Mayor Pete Buttigieg.
- Serves as National Chair of the Mayors for Masks initiative
- Provides testimony before US House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis in May, 2020